Tuesday, June 19, 2012

There are plenty of lessons to be learned from distance running. Today's lesson: Humility.

Hitting the wall, bonking, falling apart, running out of steam, shutting down -- call it whatever you want.  That was me today, right near the end of mile nine.
I spent the rest of the walk home kicking myself and trying to figure out which of the many factors could have been the culprit that kept me from finishing the eleven miles that I set out to run today...  

Could it have been the heat?  Two summers ago when I was training for my first marathon I was in Paraguay, enjoying the perfect running weather of the Paraguayan mild winter:


This heat, on the other hand, is brutal.

Could it have been the three big hills that I climbed in the first half of the run?  My total elevation for today was 600 ft:  
First climb, 100ft
(Taken from top of first peak)
Second climb, 150ft 
Turned around to take a pic from the top of the second peak.
The third hill (not pictured because of length/windy roads) stretched over a mile and climbed over 250ft.

Was it too much that I logged six miles yesterday?  Did I run them too fast? 


Or was it the chili-mac that I had a little too much of, a little too late, when we had guests last night?


Worth it.
It could have been any of these things, probably a combination of all of the above, but mostly I think I was just far too cocky on my way out the door this morning.  

This isn't the first time for me to bonk on a long run, and I'm sure it wont be the last.  I need to learn from my mistakes and accept that there will be days when I find myself two miles from home with nothing left, and that's okay.  I made it home safe.  I'm still injury-free (knock on wood.)  And I'll be ready to tackle whatever's on the calendar for tomorrow.  Most importantly, the geese were there to cheer me up shortly after I slowed to a walk:

Lots of them.
!!!!
There were even a couple mallards.

I even got to see a gosling, but by then my camera had died.

Anyways, stats for today:
(the map is a little wonky because I stopped my watch for the stretches where I walked.)


No comments: