Friday, August 03, 2012

What a great long run I had this week

It was just the right mix of fun and challenging.  I ran a route that was completely new to me, and I didn't get lost!  It was also the longest run I've been on since my first marathon, nearly two years ago.  The best part is, I felt great afterwards.



I decided to put off my gear review post until next time.  I had so much fun during my long run on Tuesday, that I'd rather just do a recap.  Still, I'm a pushover, so here's a preview of me in some of the gear you can look forward to hearing about.

Bathroom mirror shot.  This has myspace written all over it.
My run on Tuesday felt sort of like an urban expedition since I was exploring routes that were new to me.  I started north up Van Dorn out of Kingstowne and the traffic was moving slow enough for me to keep up with some of the cars for a few minutes at a time.

Approaching the Capital Beltway!
The sidewalk/path/whatever you want to call it that runs along Van Dorn is sweet.  It's asphalt, which apparently is much easier on the joints than concrete, and it's got some nice views too.

Traffic, Alexandria, 495, wildflowers.  What more could you ask for?
As I got a little closer to the 495 overpass, I noticed something genius about the path.

Notice how some stairs are longer than others?
Now I don't know if the stair-making people did this on purpose, but I like to think that they did.  I might be the only person to have noticed this, or maybe every slightly OCD runner is thankful for this detail as they trot down these stairs.  Anyways, I think it's marvelous.  These stairs are spaced out so that each there's a break after each little series of quick steps, making it so that while running, you naturally end up leading off the next series of quick steps on the alternating foot.  (I keep typing and deleting and re-typing this sentence trying to make it less confusing, but it's just not happening.  Trust me.  The stairs are great.)

Another cheers to these stairs.  That's how brilliant they are.
 And then the 495 overpass.  Here's the little bridge for pedestrians crossing underneath the beltway.
This is also where traffic started to thin out and where I cut past the Van Dorn metro, down Eisenhower. 
The walkway under 495 was pretty neat, and well lit, but I still think I'd be a little creeped out to take this route after dark.
I'm glad it was daytime with plenty of cars out.
After heading down Eisenhower for a bit, I took a bike trail that cuts through to Rose Hill, my old neighborhood.
These stairs coming up from the Eisenhower Connector were much less forgiving than the first set I came across.
From Rose Hill, it was a straight shot down Telegraph to get home.  Then it was time to watch some Olympics while I ate everything in sight.

So my fridge wasn't quite that empty at the end of the day, but it felt like it.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The smirk is the best part of the myspace photo

theBU3NO said...

That's a motoactv isn't it? I just ordered one about 3 hours ago; I can't wait to try it out.

Also that little fanny pack is just adorable.

Unknown said...

It's actually Garmin. I'll be posting with a full gear run-down in the next couple of days. I promise.